The KNMF User Committee (KUC) represents the interests of all scientists who perform research at the Karlsruhe Nano Micro Facility (KNMF) of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). As an elected body representing all KNMF users, the KUC has a strong independent voice, which can carry considerable weight beyond KNMF itself, e.g. on review panels, national, European and worldwide committees and agencies. The KUC strives to enhance research opportunities at KNMF by providing a framework of communication between the KNMF Users and the KNMF management on all relevant matters, including but not limited to:
- Convey needs and concerns of the user community and provide advice and support to the KNMF management with regard to the operation and development of the KNMF installations.
- Facilitate discussions and exchange of information concerning research, general user support and other related matters.
- Promote and encourage research at KNMF.
- Recommend topics for the scientific program of the annual KNMF User Meeting.
The KUC consists of up to six members. They are elected in annual elections by the KNMF Users1) for a term of two years. Voter lists are prepared by the KNMF User Office. The elections take place online via the KNMF website. Each voter can vote for as many KUC members as seats are available (no accumulation of votes). Names of possible candidates for the KUC are collected by the KNMF User Office.
Candidates can be proposed by any KNMF User and should declare in advance if they are willing to act as a member of the KUC. Members of the KUC should not simultaneously be members of a KIT institute providing KNMF services or of the KNMF Peer Review Board.
The deadlines for proposal of candidates and voting are published on the KNMF website (www.knmf.kit.edu), as are the resulting lists of eligible candidates and voting results. In addition, the KNMF User Office will distribute the list to the users by e-mail.
The KUC meets at least once a year, preferably at the KNMF User Meeting. The KUC will elect a chairperson who can call further meetings if needed. The KUC may invite representatives of KNMF or other persons to attend the meetings as guests. Minutes of the meetings will be distributed to all users and to the KNMF management via the KNMF User Office. Upon prior request, KNMF will provide appropriate administrative and financial support for the work of the KUC.
October 26, 2011
1) Only KNMF Users who are no staff of a member organisation of the Helmholtz Association and who own at least one accepted KNMF proposal are eligible as a member of the KUC and for voting.
- Download the Terms of Reference (PDF)